Senior Living Frequently Asked Questions

Have a question that you can’t find the answer to?

We’ve provided a list of common questions that members ask to help you on your senior living journey!

How do I know if I should move into a retirement residence?
  • Here are 10 signs that a move to a more supportive environment such as a retirement residence may be a good idea for you or your loved one.
  • You (they) are having a less active lifestyle and the tenancy to stay home
  • Exterior of your (their) home is less well maintained than usual
  • There is a change in the quality of your (their) communication or the frequency of communication
  • Fewer invited into your (their) home and a change in visit patterns
  • Unopened bills and other mail
  • Your (their) home is unkempt, laundry or dishes are piling up
  • Unexplained weight loss
  • Blackened pots or other damage to your (their) home environment
  • Bruises or other signs of trauma from falls or difficulty navigating around your (their) house
  • Your family is expressing concern for your well being
I have more questions about retirement residences. Who can I speak to?

The BC Seniors Living Association office (604-689-5949) can refer you to a retirement community in the area of your choice which may provide one or both Independent Living and Assisted Living services.

Our ‘Senior Living Lifestyles Choices’ document on the Choosing a Retirement Community link that will also help you understand the senior living terms and resources you may need to identify the options available in the province of BC.

For more information visit our Industry Links section for other websites regarding seniors programs and options.

What’s the difference between an Independent Living residence, Assisted Living resident and a long term care resident? Independent Living

A combination of housing and hospitality services for retired adults who are functionally independent seniors capable of directing their own care. This may also be referred to as Supportive, Retirement or Congregate Living
These seniors choose to be free of the home management duties and prefer the convenience of service in a social atmosphere.
Living space may vary from a studio apartment to a 2 bedroom or larger
Services provided are usually a menu of optional fee-for-services from a base rate which could include meals, housekeeping, monitoring and emergency support, social and recreational opportunities, transportation, etc.
Building features include private space, and a safe secure environment with a home-like setting. The buildings are designed with common areas and features to allow seniors to “age in place”
These communities include privately owned, non-profit and subsidized housing options

Assisted Living

Offers housing, hospitality services and personal assistance to seniors who live independently but require help with some daily tasks
Same type of communities as the independent living
Provides additional services such as bathing, dressing or medication monitoring. Nursing care may be available
Seniors must be able to be self directed and independently mobile in BC
Assisted living can be private pay or funded
Assisted living in BC is regulated by the Office of the Assisted Living Registrar

Long Term Care/Complex Care

Provides housing, hospitality, personal assistance and 24 hour professional nursing care for seniors unable to care for themselves. Also referred to as Nursing Homes
Care is required on a regular basis in a facility setting but who are not in need of hospitalization
This segment includes intermediate care, multi-level care, extended care hospitals, private hospitals, Palliative Care or Respite Care
These must be licensed and may be private pay or government funded

What is some other terminology in the Seniors Retirement Industry? Campus of Care

Is a site that offers Independent Living, Assisted/Supportive Living and Complex Care in one location. May also be referred to as Evolutive Services.

This structure allows the senior to move from one care option to the next without having to move to a new community.

In some provinces they do need to move to a new area within that community

Aging in Place

Canada Housing and Mortgage Corporation defines this “as a process which enables the elderly to grow older in familiar and comfortable surroundings while providing them with the necessary assistance to maintain a relatively independent lifestyle”. This could be applied to seniors living in their own home or housing community

Alzheimer Care

Specialized care and supportive programs for persons with Alzheimer Disease or other forms of memory loss.

Care may be provided in a Long Term Care home in a secure designated section or in the persons personal home In some provinces this may be delivered in Supportive Living options as well

Respite Care

This service provides relief for the care givers of seniors living in their own home. This program allows caregivers to have free time for themselves while their loved ones are supervised.

Home Support Services

Help to support the seniors independence in their own home. Services are non-medical in nature and include meal preparation/delivery, homemaking, home maintenance, transportation, security checks and friendly visits among others

Home Care Services

Are provided to help seniors maintain health, well-being and personal independence in their own home. Professional services may include nursing, social work, physiotherapy, respiratory therapy and nutritional services. These services may be eligible for funding depending on the province.

Support services may include homemaking and personal care services however this varies again between provinces depending on their Provincial Health Act.

Does the government regulate retirement residences in BC?

Within BC the government regulates Long Term Care communities and Assisted Living communities which fall under the Community Care and Assisted Living Act.

Independent Living communities are not regulated however in 2009 BCSLA introduced our Seal of Approval Assessment which is a self regulating senior living standards tool kit.

Is there government funding in Independent Living residences?

No there is no current government funding within the Independent Living residences. There is a program with the BC Housing called the ‘Safer Program’ which you may qualify for a rent subsidy to help you with monthly rent based on your income.

What is the SAFER Program?

The program is called Shelter for Elderly Renters (SAFER). This program is through BC Housing You can pick up an application form from BC Housing or any local Ministry of Employment and Income Assistance Office.

As per the 2008 Legal Services Guide When I’m 64 , A guide to benefits and services for people aged 60 and over on page 64 they state:

To qualify for the SAFER program you must meet all of the following conditions:

You must be a renter who is over 60 or over
Your rent must be more that 30 percent of your household gross monthly income
You or your spouse must have lived in BC 1 year immediately before you apply
You or your spouse must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident and have lived in Canada for 10 continuous years
Your gross monthly income must be less than the following:Greater Vancouver Regional District
Single: $2,333
Couple: $2,517
Shared: $1,625
Other areas of BC
Single: $2,033
Couple: $2,217
Shared: $1,625
You do not qualify for this benefit if one of the following applies to you:

You live in subsidized housing or residential care facility funded by the Ministry of Health
You live or own shares in a housing co-op
You or your family receive welfare (not including MSP benefits or the Seniors Supplement)
To order a complete When I’m 64 Guide call 604-601-6075, fax 604-682-0965 or email

I would highly recommend you order this guide as it is a wealth of information in for seniors and the services available to them.

Is there government funding in Independent Living residences?

Have More Questions?

Inquire Today

Contact Us
BCSLA Mountain