How we Began
BC Retirement Communities Association was formed in 2003 by a group of owners and operators of independent living retirement communities who felt the private pay segment of senior living was not being represented. The Association was registered by 10 founding companies who networked with other industry partners to grow the association. As the association grew and our members expanded to include Assisted Living services there was a need to re-brand the association to encompass all aspects of the services our members provided. In 2008 BC Retirement Communities Association officially changed became BC Senior Living Association. Today we represent 159 independent and assisted living buildings across the province and 114 companies who provide services to those buildings.
What is BCSLA?
The British Columbia Seniors Living Association (BCSLA) is a voluntary, membership-driven organization dedicated to the promotion and protection of the best interests of its members, which include the owners and operators of Independent and Assisted Living communities in BC.
What does BCSLA do?
The four cornerstones of BCSLA are: Advocate, Educate, Mediate and Celebrate
Advocate: We identity and promote the interests of the membership with external stakeholders in seniors living and government.
Educate: We inform the public, government and consumer about the role of seniors living communities and benefits that they have to offer.
Mediate: We identify challenges and opportunities faced by our members and seek solutions by bringing together appropriate collaborators.
Celebrate: We collect and disseminate real life stories and successes that demonstrate that seniors living within our communities remain vital and active members of society.
Who are your members?
Our members include owners and operators of Independent and Assisted Living communities in BC and those companies that support them.
What are the key achievements of the association?
BCSLA is the organization of choice for owners and operators who want to best represent their interests. We have achieved government and public recognition as the authority on seniors independent and assisted living housing and hospitality. We are well respected amongst our peers in other provinces as a leader in Advocacy, Education, Facilitation and Celebration.
Our reputation is built on the following achievements:
- We are becoming a major voice in the retirement industry in BC and Canada
- We have created and implemented the self regulated ‘Seal of Approval” assessment tool for Independent and Assisted Living Retirement communities to set industry standards
- We provide a valuable source for member development and education; webinars, newsletters, website, and yearly conference
- We promote member independence rather than government regulation
- We actively interact with the Assisted Living Registry
- We promote member awareness of the senior living industry property tax issues
- We provide necessary networking opportunities year-round, including our annual conference.