Join Forces with BC Senior Living Association!
If you are an owner, operator or manager of a Independent or Assisted Living retirement community there has never been a better time to join BCSLA and get involved in shaping the senior living industry. BCSLA is the provincial voice for our members and continue to increase our presence and influence with government, regulators, the media and consumers. BCSLA works with the Ministry of Health through the Assisted Living Registry, the 5 Health Authorities, the Parliamentary Secretary for Seniors and the new Seniors Advocate. A single residence may not be able to influence change, but together we can impact the future of the seniors living industry.
In the last 5 years BCSLA has worked on many committees and task forces and implemented various initiatives for our members.
Some of those are:
- RTA – Advocated and lobbied to ensure proclaimed changes to the Residential Tenancy Act were not enacted and we continue to work with government to design a self regulatory model that would compliment the seniors housing industry.
- Implemented a group appeal on behalf of members to address proposed BC Assessment tax changes that would influence taxation rates and property valuation throughout our industry which in turn would raise rates for seniors living in our communities. This group appeal was successfully won.
- Participated in the BC Law Institute’s Assisted Living Reform Project which was recently released.
- Continual development of our ‘Seal of Approval Assessment Tool Kit for best practices in operations and to promote quality standards of practice amongst member sites.
- Development of a complimentary Policy and Procedures Manual for the Seal of Approval Assessment.
- Implementation of an on-line Senior Living Management Certificate Program Site Managers.
- Implementation of an On-Line staff training program to ensure staff is current and up to date with changes in the senior living industry.
- Provide 8 – 10 educational Lunch and Learn session to our members on topics that impact the daily operation of their retirement community.
Our mission is to advocate, educate and mediate on behalf of members to address issues of importance that impact our businesses and affect our senior resident.
Whether you’re an owner, manager, executive or supplier, the association offers tremendous value and support with two types of membership:
Providers of retirement or assisted living accommodations to seniors with a mandatory service package (hospitality and assisted living services).
An individual, commercial supplier, consultant or professional service provider interested in the retirement industry, or a proprietary company or non-profit society that contracts to manage or operate a retirement residence.